DevOps is currently well developed, and there are many examples of companies adopting it to improve their existing practices and explore new frontiers. In this article, we’ll take a look at case studies and use cases from Google, HP, and Etsy. These companies are having success with DevOps by applying the Three Ways of DevOps.
To learn DevOps and build your skills with practical, hands-on labs, you’ll want to check out Cloud Academy DevOps Training Library. From the fundamentals to advanced, there are DevOps Certification Learning Paths to get certified in DevOps across cloud platforms.

 
Improving velocity and quality with trunk-based development at HP
The DevOps Handbook recounts Gary Gruver‘s time as director of engineering for HP’s LaserJet firmware division. Here’s how Gruver describes his situation before applying DevOps practices:
Marketing would come to us with a million ideas to dazzle our customer, and we’d just tell them, ‘Out of your list, pick the two things you’d like to get in the next six to twelve months.’
Gruver’s objective was to improve velocity and quality. He estimated that developers spent 5% actually developing new features. The other 95% went into planning, porting code to dedicated branches, integrating code with other developers, and manual testing.
He planned to adopt trunk-based development (also known as continuous integration) backed by automated testing. Trunk-based development would allow his team to ship all their firmware from a single code branch. This would also reduce the toil caused by integrating multiple code branches. Automated testing would drastically reduce the six week manual test cycle time and raise quality.
Four years later, the firmware team had adopted trunk-based development and automated testing. Testing printer firmware is no small task, so the team invested time in writing their own simulator. Eventually, their system scaled up to 2,000 simulators running on six server racks to support

View Entire Article on CloudStorageAcademy.com