Allscripts announces Q1 results: revenue flat, adjusted EPS $0.16 vs. $0.15, beating on earnings but falling short of revenue expectations.
HIStalk Announcements and Requests
Welcome to new HIStalk Platinum Sponsor SailPoint Technologies. The Austin, TX-based company’s platform manages digital identities, allowing organizations to see and control access to apps (on-premise, cloud, web), devices, infrastructure, and structured and unstructured data. Deployment options include SaaS, AWS or Azure cloud, data center, or via a managed service provider. Specific functionality includes provisioning, self-service access requests, access certifications, separation of duties, user-managed password resets, file access management including Microsoft Office, and AI-driven reporting. Specific platforms supported include Epic, Cerner, SAP, Workday, Box, Dropbox, and SharePoint. PeaceHealth dropped its 28-day turnaround time for providing access to two days, is able to run yearly employee access certification campaigns, and has reduced provisioning contractor headcount by 25. Thanks to SailPoint Technologies for supporting HIStalk.
Listening: the new, final album from The Cranberries, completed by the band from demo tracks found on the hard drive of singer Dolores O’Riordan, who died in January 2018 at 46 of accidental drowning. The Cranberries have made recordings in that manner before — she poured so much emotion into the demos that her studio versions couldn’t match them, so they sometimes went with the first draft. She had been through a lot, so the new album is more wistful, reflective, and less angry than “Zombie,” of which I would say her 1995 performance on SNL is still one of the rawest and best in that show’s history from long ago when singers wrote their own songs, performed them with emotion, and used minimal stage equipment with no computers, Auto-Tune corrected vocals, or sequiny dancers. My expectation of just listening to the new album without emotion turned out to be unrealistic as I spent the afternoon looping the achingly perfect title track “In The End.”
It’s a big holiday weekend, so happy Cinco de Cuatro to all.
Acquisitions, Funding, Business, and Stocks
CirrusMD raises $15 million in a Series B funding round. Its chat-based telemedicine software will be implemented at three VA medical centers.
Medical device integration and patient monitoring company Capsule Technologies acquires clinical surveillance software vendor Bernoulli Health. Capsule Technologies was acquired by Francisco Partners from Qualcomm just before HIMSS, where it re-emerged from its Qualcomm Life brand as Capsule Technologies (before Qualcomm, it was Capsule Technologie).
CBNC reports why the FBI raided venture-funded microbiome startup UBiome: the company was billing insurers multiple times without patient consent and pressuring its doctors to approve its tests (which it should be noted have zero proven clinical value). The company has placed its two co-founders – who are also its co-CEOs – on administrative leave.
Medhost adds hospital business office outsourcing services.
ResMed announces Q3 results: revenue up 12%, adjusted EPS $0.89 vs. $0.92.
Inovalon reports Q1 results: revenue up 57%, adjusted EPS $0.10 vs. –$0.04.
- Oklahoma Spine Hospital selects Evident’s Thrive EHR.
Netsmart promotes Kevin Kaufman to CFO.
Mindy Heintskill (Walgreens) joins MDLive as chief marketing officer.
Medhost promotes Jason Myers to CIO and Rick Brown to chief development officer.
Cerner Chief People Officer Julie Wilson will retire on June 30 after 16 years in that position and 24 with the company.
Announcements and Implementations
Cantata Health adds a resident referral portal to its NetSolutions EHR for skilled nursing facilities.
In Massachusetts, Lahey Health System and Tufts Medical Center implement secure communications and notification capabilities from Secure Exchange Solutions as part of the ELINC HIE.
Woman’s Hospital (LA) goes live on Meditech Expanse Point of Care.
North York General Hospital in Toronto goes live on Spok’s Care Connect contact center technology.
AMIA announces its first group of Fellows (FAMIA) in applied informatics.
DirectTrust seeks members to serve on its Direct Standards Consensus Body.
Medlio co-founder Lori Mehen recounts her negative experience in applying for the Cedars-Sinai Accelerator, saying that the CIO (presumably Darren Dworkin) told her seven minutes into her 15-minute scheduled meeting with him that not only would he vote no, but that he would also “veto anyone who says yes,” describing his tone as “belligerent and hateful” in telling her, “We don’t need your help getting our patients to find our doctors.” (It should be noted that this is one side of the story and other companies, especially those who were actually accepted into the program, have spoken positively about their experience and Darren’s involvement). She concludes:
We’re certain that we’re not going to be accepted. Nevertheless, it was imperative that I write this before they make their final decision. I’ve discussed this with my partners and they both agree, in the off chance we would have been accepted, we want to go on record as saying Cedars can go f%&k themselves. I’m not supposed to say this because doing so will almost certainly cost me, but that’s exactly why I must. Not just for me, or for my co-founders, but for all the other startups he has abused and will continue to abuse.
The University of Maryland works with local officials to deliver a kidney via drone to the University of Maryland School of Medicine three miles away, where it was successfully transplanted into a 44 year-old woman who had been on dialysis for eight years. Baltimore traffic must be awful to risk having a kidney-bearing drone come crashing to earth for such a short trip.
I’m not sure if this is an example of social engineering hacking, incredibly bad security practice, or incredibly good cybersecurity humor.
- Securance Consulting gives Engage a five-star for the fourth year in a row for being a Best Practice Meditech Hosting Provider.
- Elsevier will work with PhactMI to develop a new semantic search portal that will offer providers scientifically accurate, current, and unbiased information.
- EClinicalWorks will exhibit at the 2019 AAOE Annual Conference May 4-7 in Nashville.
- EPSi extends early-bird pricing for the Visis EPSi Summit, taking place October 22-24 in Austin, TX, through May 31.
- HCTec publishes a new case study featuring St. Luke’s University Health Network.
- Iatric Systems will exhibit at the NCHiMA Quad-State event May 5-8 in Myrtle Beach, SC.
- InterSystems will exhibit at the DoD/VA & Gov Health IT Summit May 8-9 in Alexandria, VA.
- Kyruus announces the availability of ProviderMatch DirectBook in the Cerner App Gallery for direct scheduling into Cerner Millenium.
- OptimizeRx will integrate Eversana’s patient support and specialty distribution models into its real-time EHR network.
- Artifact Health partners with HCPro to provide compliant, time-saving CDI templates for provider queries.
- The Customer Relationship Management Institute awards Wolters Kluwer customer support teams the NorthFace ScoreBoard Award for exceeding customer service expectations.
- Henry Ford Health System (MI) expands its use of CarePort software with the implementation of Guide, Connect, and Insight solutions.
- ROI Healthcare Solutions launches a new “day-in-the-life” content series focusing on its project managers.
- Dimensional Insight publishes a new white paper, “How Successful Are Healthcare Organizations with Clinical Analytics?”
- 4 Ways to Reduce Physician Burnout with EClinicalWorks (EClinicalWorks)
- Targeting Populations Prioritized by Risk Factors: The First Attribute in a Modern Care Management Model (Ensocare)
- Healthcare Executives Share Ideas on Optimizing Billing Compliance Programs (Hayes Management Consulting)
- User Story: Epic Health System Troubleshoots ‘Citrix is Slow’ (Goliath Technologies)
- Leading Effective Protocol Consensus Meetings (Healthfinch)
- Is the Wrong Health Education Solution Crippling Your Care Managers? (Healthwise)
- Coming soon to a city near you: Hyland Healthcare Forums (Hyland)
- The Two Tales of Remote Access Security (Iatric Systems)
- Expanding Data Access: Considerations for Decentralizing Analytics (Impact Advisors)
- Introducing Healthcare Seamless SSO: Q&A with Wes Wright (Imprivata)
- Demystify Payroll Taxes with this BSI Solution (ROI Healthcare Solutions)
- 4 Opportunities to Reduce Costs in Your Hospital (Optimum Healthcare IT)